Saturday, August 05, 2006

Inspiration

Remember a while back, I mentioned that I wanted to try designing/writing up my own pattern.

Well, I think I have found my inspiration. I was flipping through the latest Elle Mag, and what did I find...Miss Kimora rocking the illest dress for her Baby Phat Ad. Naturally, I must have this dress. I went to the site, it's not for sale. So it may not even be Baby Phat. So, I say what I always say. 'I can make that!' But this time, I actually can. Well at least I can give it a try. It's a ribbed cowl neck dress with bell sleeves. And get this, the dress is completely ribbed. Easy enough, right?

BP Dress

The only problem, I have no idea where to start. None what's so ever. The dress appears to be done in a very small gauge. Yeah, we're going to try to do it on 10's or higher. I'm a little to slow of a knitter to do it at a smaller gauge. I'm going to use the yarn I bought from Odd job. Hopefully I have enough. We shall see.

Oh, the razor is coming along. I bought Susan Bates needles (metal). I'm going much faster now that I don't have to fight it. It's starting to become one of those endless knitting projects. I've knitted about 12" of the tank, but it feels like i've knitted 50". Ehh, what are you going to do?

Razor progress

I'm only working on one project now, so don't have that much to update. Oh, I bought the Knit Simple magazine. It looks like cables are really in this season. I'm loving this Cardi from the front cover. There's a cabled vest that I've got my eye on, but I'll see what's what after I start my the Cycling Aran.

Off to my first attempt on the dress. Yeah, so all you designers out there...if you have any tips they will greatly appreciated.

8 comments:

Saun said...

I have that same pic saved to my hard drive. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Ninabeena said...

I love that dress. Do tell if you figure out a pattern....

Olgajazzy said...

Amazingly, i saw it in one of my magazines as well and I thought how hot it would be to make a dress like that. Love it!

Deborah said...

Love the color and the yarn, what is it?

Tracy said...

Didn't even get a chance to read your blog yet, just wanted to say hi to a fellow Jersey Knitter (I found you through your webring link).

Jenny said...

looks like it's a pretty decent guage- maybe worsted or better? and knit in garter stitch- knit every single row. it also looks like it is knit horizontally- cuff to cuff, increasing for the body/cowl, then decreasing when you get to the other arm... there's an old debbie bliss bliss jacket pattern knit this way-among others. let me know if you want help tracking some of them down- i think you can totally make this!!!

purlyqueen said...

OMG - I saw that dress and fell in love with it.

Anna said...

That dress is SO cute! I LOVE Baby Phat stuff....sadly, Kimora wears a LOT of outfits that you can't find in her line. I don't know why she does that. Just money she could make that she isn't! Good luck in your attempt at designing this dress yourself. :-)